Where To Get Good Balanced News

Discussion of current events and news.
Forum rules
NO PROFANITY, be civil and be friendly. Disagree on content, no personal attacks, no name-calling (unless it's a Democrat).
1st report = reprimand, and warning
2nd report = removed from board for 2 weeks
3rd report = banned from board
claireokc

Where To Get Good Balanced News

Post by claireokc »

This is a quandary I get all the time while working my precincts and doing precinct training. I have several sources and one of the best places for a newbie to start is with new aggregators.

What are news aggregators?

They are a compendium of the latest news from all different sources. They comb through a whole raft of sources and many more than you or I have time to go through. What makes them so neat, is that after a while you get a feeling that some sources are really basic and very deliberate, and some are really out there. That's not to say that the out-there sources aren't right (remember NPR and WaPo both thought it was a bunch of horse dung - but does anyone consider NPR and WaPo (Washington Post) out-there sources? Yeah, that's the point - what might seem out-there today, turns out to be really wrong in the future while John Solomon with Just the News was not only panned by the MSM but also by his own boss at the time "The Hill". Turns out ole John was right, but only tapped the surface of the Ukraine scandal.

The point is it takes some time to sort out the really great news sources. And those sources that so many folks relied on for real news have turned out to buried, avoided or purposely neglected the stories, today have turned and admitted that some of it is right. I'm sure as more truth comes to light, they will say most of it was right, while the rest of the world was in the dark when it really mattered.

There are a few news sources I love to follow, and because of that I'm working on getting feeds from those sources as they make a place to stop here with the morning cup of coffee and scan what's happening. Some of these sites have commentary, some have news. The most important thing is that it is as close to the truth as we can get in these times.
"America needs a brushfire, a moral and spiritual brushfire. And brushfires burn from the bottom up." ~ Bob Woodson
claireokc

School Board Info

Post by claireokc »

There are a lot of great sites out there to help with school board issues, especially when it comes to parents' rights and how to fight them.

One of my favorites is School Board for Kids. If you've been to OCPAC you've most likely seen his presentation. Reed Downey is a very compelling speaker and can do wonders for your attitude toward rescuing schools from their poor results.

Some of the resources available on School Board 4 Kids are school results from all Oklahoma schools, which is very eye-opening.

Here's as good a place as any to start, with a listing of all the elementary schools in Oklahoma and their ranking. You can even sort them alphabetically, or by their ranking (see which is the best/worst school in Oklahoma). Click on the graphic to go to the site.

Another great place is School Report Cards where you can search through any school to see their record and how they are doing.

This may not appear to be all that great, but it's interesting to compare Ryan Walter's record with his opponent Jena Nelson. Ryan has a pretty good (not excellent, but good) record, while Jena Nelson teaches at a charter school that does not reveal its records, in the arts. And although I'm an artist, I'm smart enough to realize that an art background is not a good background for administering schools. Jena Nelson has no experience whatsoever to run the state superintendent's office.

These three resources can give invaluable information about which candidate is the best candidate for the office he/she is running for. Again another resource for our better knowledge toward better voting on election day.
"America needs a brushfire, a moral and spiritual brushfire. And brushfires burn from the bottom up." ~ Bob Woodson