Preakness 2022: At Age 86, D. Wayne Lukas Takes Another Shot With Secret Oath: ‘He Hasn’t Forgotten How to Train a Horse

claireokc

Preakness 2022: At Age 86, D. Wayne Lukas Takes Another Shot With Secret Oath: ‘He Hasn’t Forgotten How to Train a Horse

Post by claireokc »

By Childs Walker From Baltimore Sun BALTIMORE—D. Wayne Lukas would never stop. If he thought ahead at all during the 1980s and 1990s, years when he dominated thoroughbred racing, the word retirement did not compute. “I don’t handle time down very well,” he said. “I don’t know what I would do.” After the turn of the century, Lukas stopped being the trainer to beat in all the big races and transitioned to his current status as the sport’s grandest old character, the octogenarian who still dons his cowboy hat, boots and sunglasses to climb on a pony at the crack of dawn. When he won the Preakness with Oxbow in 2013, it was his first victory in a Triple Crown race in 13 years, and many observers assumed it would be his last....

Source: https://www.theepochtimes.com/preakness ... 78827.html
"America needs a brushfire, a moral and spiritual brushfire. And brushfires burn from the bottom up." ~ Bob Woodson